If you are reading this, you have probably volunteered to help me find new books and read new things.
The task: Recommend/Buy* me a book you think I should read or you think I will like. Any format: prose, poetry, non-fiction, graphic novel, or anything else.
Rules (some can be broken):
- Books under 350 pages (dyslexic friendly)
- Avoid American authors unless you don’t want to
- No anti-Islamic terrorism stories
- No disposable sexual assault plot lines
- Less keen on YA (because I read a lot). Avoid contemporary school settings
- Only your most unusual or particularly special crime thrillers
Authors I have read a significant amount of work by/everything currently in print by:
Han Kang; Akwaeke Emezi; Arthur Conan Doyle; Octavia E. Butler; Toni Morrison; Dorothy L. Sayers; John Le Carré; George Orwell; F Scott Fitzgerald; Becky Chambers; Truman Capote; Neil Gaiman; Jane Austen; Anthony Trollope; Agatha Christie; Lisa Kleypas. Alice Oseman; Natasha Ngan; Sue Grafton; Patricia Cornwall.
Favourite books that I have read recently:
- The Emperor’s Babe – Bernadine Evaristo
- On a Sunbeam – Tillie Walden
- Dawn – Octavia E. Butler
- You Should See Me in A Crown – Leah Johnson
- The Deep – Rivers Solomon
- Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds – adrienne maree brown
- The Death of Vivek Oji – Akwaeke Emezi
- Such a Fun Age – Kiley Reid
- Jazz – Toni Morrison
- The Vanishing Half – Brit Bennett
- The Unspoken Name – A.K. Larwood
- Asha and the Spirit Bird – Jasbinder Bilan
- Girls of Paper and Fire – Natasha Ngan
- Trans Power – Juno Roche
- Pet – Akwaeke Emezi
- Heartstopper Vols. 1-3 – Alice Oseman
*Budget will be supplied by me or I’ll buy the book on your recommendation. Please use independent booksellers.